The Heathen Homemaker’s Weekly Meal Plan
Week 6: 08/23/15 – 08/29/15
Last week was a busy, week-school-starts sort of week, so I was definitely trying to K.I.S.S. it. This week is a My-Fat-Ass-Can’t-Fit-Into-Any-Of-My-Winter-Clothes-So-I’d-Better-Lose-Some-Weight-Soon kind of week.
My general cooking philosophy is to concentrate on using whole foods, which is the fancy-pants way of saying that I cook mostly from scratch. I don’t think I need to change much about what I’m cooking. What I need to do is be more moderate in my intake at meals and stop eating half a pound of Goldfish every evening. I suppose cutting back on the wine consumption would help too…
So you won’t see “diet” foods here. I just need to stuff less of the food into my mouth.
Sunday – Leftover chili and cornbread
Monday – Pesto Chicken Soup, fresh rolls , salad
Tuesday – Fish tacos, sliced avocado, and Corn Salad with Cilantro & Caramelized Onions (I was supposed to make last week but didn’t get to it)
Wednesday – Freezer curry, rice, garlic naan
Thursday – Pork chops thrown in the slow cooker on a bed of sliced onions and BBQ sauce poured on top, rice, succotash
Friday – Lingonberry chicken (chicken in a crockpot with a jar of lingonberry jam thrown on top), mashed potatoes, green beans
Saturday – Anything goes!
 I use the ABin5 master recipe for rolls.
Now it’s time to…
What did you really eat last week Jenny?
- Planned: Daddy Burgers, definitely-unhealthy potato chips (that’s a brand name right?), Bush’s Baked Beans, Jenny’s rahtid good lemonade
- Actual: Yes, we really love Daddy’s charcoal-grilled burgers. Just pure tasty Angus beef.
- Planned: Hodge Podge Night!
- Actual: It was hodgy and podgy goodness
- Planned: 15-bean soup, dinner rolls, salad
- Actual: Yes, and it was comfort food at its best.
- Planned: Lemon rosemary chicken, Tj’s potato something (I’ll pick something from my freezer stock), veggie salad
- Actual: Oh my, the chicken was so good. I’m not sure I’ll ever again cook chicken breasts another way. I brined the chicken first (instructions are on the same page), then cooked it with slices of lemon and fresh rosemary springs.
- Planned: Ground beef slow cooker chili, cornbread, salad
- Actual: I didn’t make it in the slow cooker, but it was perfectly good. I have no recipe…. browned ground beef, sauteed onions (deglazed with a little red wine), some beans (black, pinto, red – whatever I have around), diced tomatoes or Rotel, a little broth or water if it looks like it needs it, and some chili powder. I don’t know how much. Probably a couple of tablespoons?
- Planned: Leftover curried chicken & veggies, rice, naan
- Actual: Chinese food. We went hiking and got back WAY later than I’d anticipated. Oh, and they gave us 6 fortune cookies, but only one of the fortunes was an actual fortune, as opposed to some hackneyed Confucionesque phrase. Why does that irritate me so much? Clearly I need help.
Do you plan meals ahead of time? How often do you stray from the plan? Let me know in the comments!